Monday, April 09, 2007

Austin, Texas, USA

I flew into Austin, TX, USA the afternoon of Wednesday April 4th. I don't say home because I am still homeless and I like to think of this place as just another stop in a continuing journey. Brian and Jennifer Lasseter have been very kind in allowing me to stay at their home while I become partially a States American again... acquire a cell phone, laptop, car, employment. (My hope is to not adobt the natives consumeristic zeitgeist much beyond that.)

It took a couple of stressful hours from the moment I left the hostel to when I was in my seat on the airplane. Bus terminals are so much easier than airline terminals! Wanted to bring some Argentinian wine home with me but could not due to the terrorist bogey man (containers containing liquid must be in checked baggage), and the fact that both of my checked bags were at the 50 lb weight limit.

My seat was in the middle of the plane - as far from the window as one could get. However it was the first flight ever for the guy sitting next to me and his friend asked if I would be willing to take his window seat so he could sit by his friend! Done! Funny thing how grateful he was that I accepted.

So I watched as the lights of BA disappeared behind me in the distance. Some clever Argentinians had even layed out some lights of a little man waving bienvenido/adios in the main flight path of incoming/outgoing airplanes.

I was awake to see the lights of Cuba with little spots of lights floating off the coast. A few minutes later, the lights of Miami and then twighlight.

Spent a couple of hours in Atlanta, GA airport. The internet cafe was $5.00 per hour!!! (Ecuador was most expensive at $1 and Bolivia the cheapest at $0.15) Flew on too Austin, TX.

Didn't have a cell phone or coins for the payphone (to call for a ride) so I lugged my gear to the nearest bank(ito) in the terminal and made change. No place to change Argentinian Pesos. I guess I'll hang onto them until the exchange rate is more favorable ;)

Dug into my stuff where it had been stored at Brian's and Jennifer's place.

Rode my bike around to get a cell phone and laptop. SUVs and pickup trucks everywhere here. Gasoline must be cheap in the states (like Venezuela... the only other country I've been in where they drive big inefficient gas guzzlers.)

This city is definitely not made for bikes. 30 minute ride to get to where they sell cell phones. Lots of open space around the houses/buildings and big parking lots... and I thought the roads were wide in Buenos Aires!

I am still drinking mate though I've yet to find anyone to share with here in Austin. To bitter.

Thursday I went to the Fed and became reaquainted with the lindy dancers. There were still quite a few familiar faces. I was more than content to be dancing again. Perhaps it is what I missed most during my time in Central and South America.