Friday, January 05, 2007

Tierra del Fuego

So down through Patagonia there isn´t much to look at. Everything flat and barren.

I talked a bit with the Bolivian sitting next to me. She, along with other immigrant labor from Bolivia and Peru, works in a fishing factory in one of the small towns on the Argentinian coast. So perhaps this place most reminds me of Alaska.

Yes, that´s about all I got from Puerto Madryn all the way to Rio Gallegos.

This is all I saw of Rio Gallegos. I spent a total of 5 minutes in the bus station as there was a bus leaving immediately to Ushuaia.

The scenery began to improve becoming less monotone. The most interesting bit was seeing the mixture of sheep and flamingoes around the watering holes.

The odd part was going through immigration twice just too get across a 2 hour piece of Chile. It used up 4 spaces in my passport - I`m running out of room.

Ushuaia sits on an island apart from the rest of Argentina. Here we are crossing the Magellan Strait. It is extremely windy here (and throughout Tierra del Fuego)!

The second of the two immigration posts.

And then the scenery became spectacular! Very much like the Canadian and American Rockies.

This is the last bit of the Andes before you get on a boat for Antartica.

These colorful flowers appear anywhere there is human civilization.

And finally Ushuaia! The furthest south one can go sans Antartica. Further south than Africa or Australia.

Ushuaia at 11:00 pm. That´s a Christmas tree in the background. Again, reminds me a lot of Alaska.

This has been the goal of my trip.