Machu Picchu
Go here to vote for the new seven wonders of the world (http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php)
Machu Picchu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machu_picchu) is the only candidate I have visited. I do hope to get to Rio de Janeiro on this trip where there is another candidate.
From Cusco, it is a two hour bus ride to Ollantatambo.


From there, a train goes the rest of the distance up the canyon to Aguas Calientes - the tourist hub just below the ruins.
(Spoiler Alert)My first view of Machu Picchu.
That is the river and railroad track far below. The river forms a horshoe bend around the site. Huayna Picchu is the name of the mountain at back.
So, as usual, I wandered around town for awhile.



What to do when the sun comes out and it gets hot (helps to have big belly.)
It is possible to climb Huayna Picchu and visit the buildings there. They are difficult to pick out in the morning sun. They are better exposed in the late afternoon.

Some good views on the way up:

At the very top, the trail took an interesting turn. (Sort of like climbing Sawtooth Mountain with my Dad in Idaho, USA... sans the exposure)

I figured tourists climb up here for the view.
But there is also the ritual that calls on the sacred power of Machu Picchu to remove negative energy from the body. First, lay on back on top-most rock. Then, have healer place the magic pillow on your stomach and pronounce the shamanistic chant.
Finally, throw out arms and scream like a banshee!
Odd... but I gave it a try.
There are the two trails the Inca´s used to enter the city. The main one here:


The lesser-known (and now inoperable):The green line that crosses the cliff face.
Then across the hanging bridge.


I found a quiet place to wait-out the crowds. From 3:00 - 5:00 pm, I had the place to myself.


A very pleasant way to spend a Sunday.

<< Home